[RFI] USB port closing

Martin Sole hs0zed at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 06:50:22 EDT 2022

Hi,

I'm writing this for a friend. He has an Icom IC-7610 connected to a
laptop running Win4Icom. At anything over about40 watts it doesn't take
many FT8 transmit cycles before Win4Icom will report a connection
error,the error log shows port closed and the author's statement in the
alert box that appears is that this is most likely caused by RFI.
Accordingly, we want to deploy suitable ferrite on the USB cables. My
thinking is that 3 to 4 turns around one of the medium or large type 31
snap on's that DX engineering sells, at each end of the USB cable, would
be a good start.

Is my thinking here sound or are there other things we should try first?

Thanks
Martin HS0ZED