[RFI] Contesters

David Eckhardt davearea51a at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 19:54:48 EDT 2022

OK, guys, I should have not have hit the keyboard in such a "knee-jerk"
mood.  Please forgive me, but I really do not care for contesting.   That's
my choice.  I much prefer the technical aspects of the hobby and
professionally as an EMC/RFI engineer - retired.  I've been licensed for
going on 63 years so there must be something in the hobby to have keep me
involved.  However, these days, I spend more time doing radio astronomy,
although you'd never know it by the time I spend on the local repeater
helping others with technical questions.  Yes, there is something in the
hobby for everyone, but contesting and FT8 are not my preferences.  Those
are my choices,  Again, sorry for raising the hackles of some in this
group.  I usually keep it to RFI and the FCC.

Dave - WØLEV

On Sat, Aug 6, 2022 at 11:36 PM James Jordan <k4qpl2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> That’s true Dan. It’s a pity that some people get satisfaction from
> disparaging comments and putting other people down. We also hear this kind
> of stuff on the air which is even worse as one never knows who is
> listening. If any subject should be a shared concern it is RFI which can
> impact all segments of this widely diverse hobby.
> 73,
> Jim K4QPL
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Aug 6, 2022, at 5:21 PM, Dan K2YWE <dan.k2ywe at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Most of what you said is nonsense.
> >

> > 73, Dan
> >
> >> On Sat, Aug 6, 2022, 5:03 PM David Eckhardt <davearea51a at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I do not contest, period.  I have little tolerance for the spectrum
> >> pollution every weekend and a few during the weekdays with one or
> several
> >> contests.  I'd rather pursue the technical aspects of the hobby than
> simply
> >> contesting.  Contests usually boil down to the largest and most aluminum
> >> high in the air on tall metallic "trees" fed with legal power (many,
> >> operate more than legal power - illegally) - BIG $$$$ - which most
> >> "average" hams can not afford, myself included.  Yes, there are hams
> more
> >> technical than myself but a plethora less.  I suppose there is something
> >> for everyone in the hobby, but contesting and the digital modes,
> especially
> >> FT8, are not for me.  I'll stick with the technical aspects.
> >>
> >> Dave - WØLEV

> And

> >> --
> >> *Dave - WØLEV*