[RFI] Another Solar Panel RFI Victim

Hare, Ed, W1RFI w1rfi at arrl.org
Mon Dec 12 10:26:08 EST 2022

There is an important factor here to keep in mind.

PV systems are regulated by Part 15 of the FCC's rules.  Under those rules, the manufacturers of devices that generate RF noise are required to do the following:

Meet FCC Part 15 limits for radiated emissions above 30 MHz.

Meet FCC Part 15 limits for conducted emissions onto the AC mains below 30 MHz.

Meet FCC labeling requirements.

Market products under either a Supplier's Declaration of Conformity or, alternatively, FCC Certification.  Most manufacturer use the SDoC process.

These are the SOLE requirements of the manufacturers.  If a device meets these requirements, the OPERATOR of a Part 15 device must use it in a way that does not cause harmful interference to licensed radio users.  From a legal perspective, it the first requirements are met, a manufacturer is not obligated to do anything to address interference.

Solar Edge does, including the funding to replace entire systems in the field.  It assumes that responsibility on behalf of its customers.

73, Ed, W1RFI
ARRL Lab