[RFI] Another Solar Panel RFI System

Hare, Ed, W1RFI w1rfi at arrl.org
Mon Dec 19 07:43:19 EST 2022

> Recently Jessica Rosenworcel , FCC chairwomen has made a statement about
> issues with Solar Edge RFI and said that S-6 to S-9 is NOT harmful
> interference. On what basis can she make that determination. Does she know
> what an S unit is?  Has she been advised from a technical support group to
> make that comment?

I have never seen any such statement from the FCC.  Can you cite the source of the claim that Rosenworcel proclaimed S9 not to be harmful interference?  I would like to see that in context.

> I would be confident to say of there would be s-6 interference to a fire
> department, ambulance service or aircraft control tower that would not be
> tolerated but as amateurs we must tolerate it in the eyes of the FCC.

The rules define harmful interference differently for any emergency-related communications than it does for non-emergency communications such as amateur or brodcasting.

Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Lab