[RFI] Powerline noise question

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Dec 29 22:31:49 EST 2022

First, figure out if it's impulse noise or electronic noise.

Others on this reflector have far more experience than me on impulse
noise, but a technique that has worked goes like this. I have two
VHF/UHF FM rigs with wideband RX and AM detection. One is a talkie, the
other a conventional mobile rig. I've programmed both with a half dozen
frequencies, beginning at 160 MHz up to the upper limit of their
coverage around 550 MHz. I drive around listening on 160MHz, and as it
gets stronger, I switch to the higher frequencies.

When I get close, I get out of the car with the talkie, holding it
against my chest, giving it a half-space directivity. And when I get
REAL close, I remove the duck.

73, Jim K9YC