[RFI] Not your typical invisible fence RFI

David Eckhardt davearea51a at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 13:06:48 EST 2022

There is no record on the FCC OET site for KE3-3002587 which is shown on
the image of the label as the FCC ID number for the wireless transmitter -
Part 15, Class B, Subpart B, intentional radiators.  However, if I input
only the Grantee Code of KE3, indeed, all kings of pet care products are
shown.  This might be a knockoff with a bogus FCC ID????  Also, as a Class
B product - home and small office - the FCC logo is required on the
regulatory label.  It is absent.

Dave - WØLEV

On Sun, Jan 23, 2022 at 3:23 PM Don Kirk <wd8dsb at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just uploaded a video onto YouTube that documents wideband RFI on 20
> meters that I tracked down to my neighbors invisible fence transmitter, and
> it's not the typical approximate 7 or 10 KHz interval RFI encountered with
> inground invisible fences.  The RFI which is at least 150 KHz wide at my
> house moves around based on outdoor temperature and on warmer winter days
> it drops down to slightly below the 20 meter band.
>
> I was hoping the problem was with the wall-wart power supply feeding the
> transmitter but it was not.  The transmitter has battery backup and the RFI
> is still present with the wall wart unplugged, and we also tried a linear
> lab grade power supply in place of the 19.0 Vdc 1 amp wall wart with no
> noticeable difference in the level of RFI at my house.
>
> Unfortunately the transmitter is not part of a DIY system so the
> manufacturer (Radio Systems Corporation) requires that we deal with the
> local "Invisible Fence" Dealer which is our next step.
>
> An interesting note is that when I first tracked the RFI down to my
> neighbors home I wound up near the main circuit breaker box.  We then tried
> sniffing the circuit breakers with a very small loop to see what circuit in
> the house the RFI was originating (assuming the RFI was being conducted on
> house wiring) and this technique typically works great.  We did not detect
> the RFI on 20 meters on any of the circuit breakers which was interesting
> because the RFI was strong near the main circuit breaker box.  It turned
> out that the invisible fence transmitter is just a few feet away from the
> main circuit breaker box which explained why the signal was strong near the
> main circuit breaker box.
>
> For those interesting here is a link to the video documenting the RFI:
> https://youtu.be/rHABjR0GZWg
>
> P.S. I have great neighbors that are wonderful to work with on RFI issues.
>
> 73,
> Don (wd8dsb)

*Dave - WØLEV*
*Just Let Darwin Work*