[RFI] Sitting position and RFI ...

Michael Carter Mike.Carter at unh.edu
Mon Jan 31 16:53:01 EST 2022

David,

You didn't conclusively identify the signal source that was opening
the squelch.  However, your body may be the necessary
attenuator to prevent the squelch opening in just
the right body posture.  A slight shift in posture is
enough to increase the squelch-breaking signal
strength at the HT.

For what it's worth, I use my body as an absorber
when DF'ing RFI sources with a 135 MHz handheld
receiver and a simple helical whip.  The body absorption
is sufficient to remove the whip's null direction ambiguity
when held horizontal and swung in the azimuth direction.

73,
Mike, K8CN