[RFI] Not your typical invisible fence RFI

Don Kirk wd8dsb at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 17:48:57 EST 2022

Here is an interesting update regarding the 20 meters broadband RFI being
generated by my neighbors Invisible Fence transmitter that's not the
typical RFI encountered with such systems.

We tried a brand new transmitter and we still had the same problem but at a
slightly higher frequency (15 MHz versus 14.3 MHz as an example), but the
frequency is very temperature sensitive (drifts based on temperature)
so hard to tell how much difference in transmitters was just due to
temperature.

We configured the transmitter for 10 KHz output versus 7 KHz output
operation, but still had the same 14 MHz broadband RFI problem.

We tried the Corcom 10VK6 transformer on the output of the transmitter, and
sure enough it eliminated the broadband RFI on 14 MHz, and a spectrum scan
from 500 KHz through 30 MHz showed everything looked great (no broadband
RFI).  Unfortunately the Corcom filter caused the invisible fence
transmitter to no longer detect a break in the in ground loop of wire, and
I had already been told that would be the case by the local invisible fence
technical manager.  This is not what I have encountered with the Innotek
brand of transmitters which still detects a break in the loop when using
the Corcom 10VK6 filter.

Also tried two #31 clamp on cores as a common mode choke on the transmitter
output wires (both wires passing through the same core 3 times and added a
second core in series with the first one in similar fashion), but this had
no effect  as the broadband RFI on 14 MHz was still present.
Note:  Now looking back at the situation I should have also tried a #31
clamp on core on each wire individually after seeing that the common mode
choke configuration had no effect.

I then wondered if I could just use a capacitor across the output of the
transmitter as a very simple low pass filter to "short out" the 14 MHz
signal while looking like an open at the 7 KHz frequency of operation.  I
decided we should start with a 0.001 uF cap since this would provide the
following inductive reactance: XL at 7 KHz = 22.7 K ohms, XL at 14 MHz =
11.4 ohms.  Low and behold this worked great in eliminating the 14 MHz RFI
and a scan from 100 KHz through 30 MHz looked great (no RFI) and my pickup
antenna was only about 5 feet from the transmitter.  We then tested the
wire break detection system on the transmitter and it still worked fine.
We also tested the distance from the in ground wire relative to when the
dog collar detected the wire, and noticed no changes in the detection
distance so the Invisible Fence technician was pleased that everything was
working just as it should.  Note: we used a 100 volt silver mica capacitor
because that's what I had on hand.  The capacitor is located between the
output of the Invisible Fence transmitter and the Invisible Fence lightning
arrestor, so hopefully the 100 volt rating will be adequate.

I'm now going to write up what we did, and then I'm going to have the local
Invisible Fence office send this info to their parent company (Radio
Systems Corporation) who is the actual manufacturer of the Invisible Fence
brand.  I want Radio Systems Corporation to officially approve the use of
the 0.001 uF capacitor for elimination of the 14 MHz broadband trash that's
generated by the transmitter.  I also want Radio Systems Corporation to
look into the design of the transmitter regarding why it's generating the
14 MHz broadband trash as it definitely generates harmful interference (The
RFI is not coming from the wall wart power supply as previously mentioned,
it's being generated by the transmitter).  I would also like to go back and
evaluate #31 cores on each transmitter output wire (high impedance on 14
MHz but not at low frequencies) as this would be a more robust solution
regarding component failure as a shorted capacitor would cause the output
signal to bypass the inground loop which would not be detected and the
homeowners dog would no longer be contained by the system which would be a
horrible situation.

In the meantime the 0.001 uF cap is in service.  Upfront I made sure that
Invisible Fence understood the homeowner must not incur any expense related
to remediation of the RFI, and they fully agreed.

Just FYI,
Don (wd8dsb)