[RFI] RFI Friendly Home Solar And The Australian "FCC"

Tony 73guddx at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 22:07:38 EDT 2022

All:

Here's some encouraging news about a solar panel manufacturer and the
Australian "FCC".

I recently had a QSO with Dale, VK7DG and noticed that the street level
photo of his QTH showed a row of solar panels on his on the roof of his
home. I asked if he noticed any RFI issues from his system and expected
to hear the usual response about horrendous noise, but he said it was
noise-free! His inverter is made by SMA Sunny Boy and the panels by an
unknown German manufacturer.

Dale also mentioned actions taken by the Australian Communications Media
Authority regarding solar panel RFI. The ACMA is the Aussie version of
our FCC. He said that his sister had an RFI problem that suddenly popped
up on the commercial broadcast band. She filed a complaint with the ACMA
who then tracked down the noise to a neighbors newly installed home
solar system.

The ACMA ordered the system to be shut down until the problem was
resolved. It was later replaced with a "more reputable brand"  of
inverter and panels which solved the problem.

Interesting how they do things in VK land -- we can only wish for that
kind of response from the FCC.

Tony -K2MO