[RFI] Strange birdies on 10M

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Jul 16 04:06:40 EDT 2022

I missed Pete's post the first time around, but yes, birdies spaced at
intervals of 10-40 kHz are created by switch-mode power supplies and
power control electronics, like controllers for variable speed motors.
Variable speed motors are used in everything from appliances to HVAC
systems to elevators to industrial machinery.

The frequency ranges at which they bother us depend on variables like
circuit design, device construction, and the wiring connected to them
that can act as antennas to radiate the noise.

These links shows how to identify sources by generic type, and provides
lots of advice about how to chase them down and kill them.

http://k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf
http://k9yc.com/KillingRXNoiseVisalia.pdf

73, Jim K9YC