[RFI] Lennox brand HVAC RFI experience

Kenneth R Goodwin krgoodwin at comcast.net
Tue Jul 19 21:24:47 EDT 2022

I would like to reinforce Jim K4QPL's comments on variable speed HVAC
systems since I have the American Standard Platinum version of their
variable speed system with a SEER of 18.  I have had no RFI for three years
(either in or out since many years ago my kilowatt linear would key the
compressor at 25 WPM until I shielded the thermostat control lines and used
K2KIR's Worked All Furnaces - WAF Award solution to keep RFI out of the
control system).  The days of the HVAC bang-bang control system with its
related switching transients (read as wide band RFI) are old and costly
technology.  The 20 dB(A) reduction in audible noise alone is worth many
times the additional cost for a variable speed system.  Yes 20 dB(A) sound
power level reduction at low speeds.  The (smart) sensors are Z-Wave if one
instruments more than one zone in the house.  Ken K5RG