[RFI] AM Radio Dropped From Electric Vehicles Due To RFI

Gary Peterson kzerocx at rap.midco.net
Mon Jul 25 07:39:25 EDT 2022

This reminds me of when ignition noise was a real problem - and not just for mobile operation.

Before I was old enough to drive, my home station was frequently the victim of a major manufacturer’s automotive ignition noise.  If I was on 15 or 10 meters, I could hear a certain brand of car if it was a couple of blocks away.  My parents and I lived next to a major U.S. highway, where it passed through town.  The limiters and noise blankers of the 1960s didn’t help much.

Gary
KzeroCX

/"electromagnetic frequencies generated by EV motors occupy the same
wavelength as AM radio signals. The competing signals clash, effectively
cancelling each other out. As EV motors grow more powerful, AM static
tends to increase./

I suspect the harmonics from that interference could cause havoc on the
HF spectrum -- something to think about for those contemplating HF
mobile in an EV.

Tony -K2MO