[RFI] Power Line Radiated Interference Limits

Charles Plunk af4o at twc.com
Tue Jun 7 10:28:22 EDT 2022

My situation is different. In over 20 years of power pole rfi (gets
fixed, good for months, another crops up), all of my "harmful" ones have
been within 2-3 city blocks, usually less. An old 7.2kv 3 phase line
runs right by my yard and up the street where most of the issues arise.
The worst have been at the corners of my yard. Yea I know, dumb decision
to buy near a 3 phase line but I was young and stupid, lol. It also
limits tower height I can put up.

Last visit the power co lineman told me there maybe plans to re route
the 3 phase. Sounded like Christmas to me but I am not holding my breath.

Currently, I am hearing maybe 3 sources that are likely over 1/2 mile (I
say this because there are no 7.2kv lines within 1/2 mile in those
directions) but they are weak and very intermittent thus not worth
chasing for me. NB on lowest setting takes care of them. On HF they are
almost always unnoticeable without NB. On 6m I can hear them at times
with the yagi a bit better. Now that summer and high humidity has kicked
in, rarely hear them even on 6.

Looking at the OP's QTH, a bicycle would maybe be a good idea for him. I
have looked at the marine df unit. Would have bought one if I had not
found the poles easily, once I acquired a technique to identify the
correct noise :-)

73

Chuck
W4NBO