[RFI] Solar Panel RFI Awareness At Dayton

Tony 73guddx at gmail.com
Sun May 22 17:49:59 EDT 2022

Ed Hare Wrote:

> Right now, ARRL has 2-1/2 solar companies working on resolving cases and looking to improve the product. The League is also looking to form an industry standards working group to develop an IEEE recommended practice on good design for EMC for solar systems

Glad to hear you're making progress Ed. I've noticed a big improvement
in the level of cooperation from Solar Edge since I first opened my case
in 2016. I attribute that to the leagues involvement.

It's unfortunate the suppression they used didn't work in my situation,
but that seems to be the case for other hams as well. The issue was
mentioned in a Southgate article about a Swedish ham who experienced the
same problem. See:
http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2020/september/solar-panels-cause-interference.htm#.YonbsqjMIuV

The engineers at Solar Edge tell me that there is no solar system that's
RFI friendly and that RFI suppression has it's limitations in situations
like mine where the system is in close proximity to the station. Things
like encasing the cabling inside aluminum or steel conduit would
probably work wonders, but they tell me that's not possible due to
building codes.

I'm hoping the noise problem can be eliminated at the source i.e, the
inverter and optimizer using filtering. It would be wonderful if they'd
send a mock setup to the ARRL lab to test to possibly find a solution.

Thanks for all Ed.

Tony -K2MO