[RFI] Solar inverter RFI experience - Delta versus Sunny Boy

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Nov 27 06:06:42 EST 2022

On 11/26/2022 12:30 PM, John Langdon wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with Delta string inverters re RFI? Sunny Boy has good reputation re low RFI - what about Delta?

My neighbor, W6GJB, a serious engineer, has studied solar systems
extensively, and holds Sunny Boy in high regard. We both favors strings
of multiple LV sources in series, so that the rlesulting magnetic field,
which is related to CURRENT, not voltage, is relatively small. It is the
FIELD produced by the current that causes RFI.

There's more to it than that, of course. Conductors carrying that
current, which is pulse-modulated to control charging, and which MUST be
twisted pair, because it is rich in harmonics that would be radiated as
RFI.

Glen, W6GJB, has a great view of the sun, so a well-designed solar
system could work for him. I'm surrounded by so many tall redwoods that
block the sun from any possible solar panel array that such a system is
impractical for me.

73, Jim K9YC