[RFI] The push for efficiency should help long term with motor drive RFI

Dennis Monticelli dennis.monticelli at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 12:45:04 EST 2023

FYI.  It may seem counterintuitive but as drive makers compete on the basis
of efficiency and with PWM frequencies going up, the use of filters on the
driver side (normally seen as an unnecessary cost adder) will probably
increase.  That is because the higher order harmonics of the drive signals
encounter SWR losses on the wires between the drive and the motor.  Keeping
those harmonics off the lines boosts overall efficiency.  My company made
semiconductor power switches so we quantified those losses and educated our
customers.  The drive makers were surprised to learn that the SWR issues
were real.

Dennis AE6C
Excellent post, Kenneth. I've been involved in EMC for more than 25
years as Vice-Chair of the EMC WG of the Audio Engineering Society
Standards Committee, largely composed of members from the UK and North
America. We first became aware of serious RFI issues from variable-speed
motor controllers for elevators in buildings with large performance
spaces, and all of the issues were the result of massive failures by
system designers. We learned then that controllers were usually widely
separated from their motors, and wiring practices were ignorant of the
fundamentals of preventing both magnetic and electromagnetic coupling.

The same failings are present in consumer products like HVAC systems,
and in industrial control systems. I'm encouraged that you and your
colleagues are doing your part to educate designers of these systems.

One of the most important principles that we learned is that avoiding
the creation of the fields is at least as important as shielding. For
example, all current-carrying conductors MUST be twisted pair, and
circuit layout, including board layout, is critical. In the NJ
Performing Arts Center, where Neil Muncy first encountered the issue
with elevator motors, it was the magnetic field that was coupling into
audio system wiring. Since current-carrying conductors are nearly always
bypassed to "ground," it is critical that ground conductors be run WITH
and tightly couples to current carrying conductors so that they function
as transmission lines.

In his lectures, Henry Ott has emphasized this principle, noting that
when "ground" layers on boards are interrupted under signal, the traces
no longer form transmission lines, wreaking all sorts of havoc. He also
observes the invisible schematic hiding behind the ground symbol.

73, Jim K9YC

On 2/14/2023 12:20 PM, Kenneth Wyatt via RFI wrote:
> Steve is correct that it?s possible to purchase large appliances that are
designed with EMC in mind (mostly for the European market). As an EMC
consultant for the past 15 years, I?ve helped several appliance clients
with their washing machines, air conditioning systems, etc. achieve EMI
compliance. The problems I?ve seen include EMI mains filters located too
far inside the works, which allows noise coupling directly into the mains
wiring. Also the VS drive electronics is not fully enclosed with shielding.
But the biggest problem is that the internal cable routing is haphazard,
allowing multiple coupling between noisy circuits and mains wiring, which
can lead to both radiated and conducted emissions.

> I, and a handful of others, in the world also teach product design for
compliance to EMC and product safety, but these topics are largely ignored
in college and university. The result is that designers end up learning the
hard way about EMC and the end users bear the consequences.