[RFI] Powerline noise question

Hare, Ed, W1RFI w1rfi at arrl.org
Sun Jan 1 10:48:48 EST 2023

Yes, many noises can sound the same.  Also, many noises do NOT propagate for any significant distance from the source.  For the most part, if a noise is conducted onto the AC mains in the differential mode, it decays at nearly 60 dB/distance decade from the source.   Our testing engineer and I recently had a chance to visit a local solar farm.  At the fence, near the inverter electronics, we found S9 noise, but it was inaudible on a portable SW receiver when we were 10 feet away, so noise can decay rapidly with distance.

This is a problem that electric utilities encounter all the time.  They get a complaint, go to the area, find noise and fix it... well... fix most of it, but the noise sources they fixed were not ones the amateur could hear.

There are several ways to get reasonable correlation.

For sparking noise sources, get a noise signature at the affected station and compare it to noises in the field.

For sources that come and go in a regular pattern, ie 1 second on, 3 seconds off, it is reasonable to assume that a similar noise found in the field nearby is the source.

For switching power supplies, the spacing between the noises vs spectrum can be a clue, but many devices could have similar spectral signatures.

If you can clearly hear the noise on a mobile antenna at the ham station and can clearly hear it all the way to the suspect source, that can also be a reasonable correlation.

Ed