[RFI] Noisy Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS)

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Jun 12 18:18:03 EDT 2023

On 6/12/2023 12:50 PM, RVZ via RFI wrote:
>   I'm wondering if there is a commercially made UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) that is RF quiet, or more RF quiet, than the average?

Yes, the CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD. I have five of them, first bought at
least ten years ago. In addition to being relatively quiet when in
standby mode, it has the MAJOR virtue of not overcharging the battery,
causing the battery to last a long time. Most UPS units DO overcharge
the battery, so you have to buy a replacement (from them, of course)
every year or two.

With ANY modern power supply, it's good practice to wind multiple turns
of the power cord through a big #31 clamp-on. Detailed advice in this
applications note.
http://k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf
and this slide deck.
http://k9yc.com/KillingRXNoiseVisalia.pdf