[RFI] Weird RFI Episode

Pete Smith N4ZR pete.n4zr at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 18:16:20 EDT 2023

This morning I got up and went on the air in the CQWW RTTY Contest.
Everything had been fine yesterday, but as soon as I made my first
transmission, both of my monitors shut down.  Eventually, I found that
the cause was RFI - anything over about 40 watts and blooey (the
computer was fine).  Without a lot of excruciating detail, I think the
cause was a hand-tight PL-259 somewhere in my feedline out to my antenna
switch.  Initially it looked fjne, and then it started showing me high
SWRs on all bands.  I snugged them all down and it went away.

This is a first to me in some 40 years of playing radio and computers.

--
73, Pete N4ZR