[RFI] UPDATE re: Source power pole located - but wonder which components most likely temperature sensitive

Alan Higbie alan.higbie at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 10:28:27 EST 2024

Yesterday an engineer (and two others) was out to confirm the 2 powerline
RFI sources.

*BACKGROUND*:

   - Our electric utility is part of Colorado Springs Utilities. It is
   city-owned and operated.    https://www.csu.org/Pages/AboutUs.aspx

   - On Jan. 22, I submitted "trouble tickets" for two separate
   RFI-producing powerline leaks.  I had DF'ed and located the poles producing
   the RFI.

*UPDATE*:

   - Yesterday, Feb.1, I saw the engineer (and 2 others) walking nearby
   with their Radar Engineers ultrasonic dish and a Mini-RFI M330 locator.

   - They thanked me for accurately locating the poles with the RFI sources
   which they had now confirmed.

   - Although I had not been with them for Source #1 (the one pictured at
   https://www.qrz.com/db/K0AV the POLE ON THE RIGHT) - they reported that
   they ultimately had used the ultrasonic dish to find a source - and they
   believe it is a defective "pin insulator" (?).  Ultimately this may or may
   not be correct.  This Source #1 is the pole with the temperature-sensitive
   RFI source.

   - I was with them by Source #2 - and the noise was easily heard on the
   M330 (not the current version).  This source is not temperature-sensitive.
   They used the ultrasonic dish - and I was unclear if they felt they had
   isolated the component.

   - The engineer said he would put in work orders to repair both sources.
    (timeline unknown)

*INTERESTING ASIDES*:

   - Ultrasonic dish.  I mentioned that a previous attempt with an
   ultrasonic dish some years back had been disappointing.  He said this was a
   new version (Radar Engineers) dish.

   - And, that the upgraded version had been recommended by a contractor
   the utility had recently used to survey their powerline.

   - The survey had been prompted by a series of "pole fires" they had
   experienced.

   - He described the survey as having been done from a vehicle driving
   beneath 200 miles of their lines. (1/5 of the utility's total). And, that
   the contractor had then used this latest model R.E. dish to zero in on the
   source.  Future surveying depends upon budget considerations.

*I'M CURIOUS*:

   - Is there some new technology being used for surveying lines?  I sort
   of recall reading something like this. Drones? SDR recording?
   - Or, maybe this is just some guy driving around with his AM radio on?
   - Is there a new version of the ultrasonic dish that is better than the
   previous Radar Engineers model?
   - What is the difference between RE models and the MFJ-5008?
   https://mfjenterprises.com/products/mfj-5008

I will further update when these tickets are closed out - and the defective
component is positively identified.

73, ~ Alan K0AV
Colorado Springs