[RSM] Fwd: Oddball observation about W3LPL station

Cary Rubenfeld carys1 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 09:21:52 EST 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Art Boyars <artboyars at gmail.com>
Date: 23 February 2017 at 19:29
Subject: Oddball observation about W3LPL station
To: VE4EA <carys1 at gmail.com>

Thought you might be interested.  Original post is below Frank's reply.

73, Art

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 14:50:14 -0500 (EST)
From: donovanf at starpower.net
To: pvrc at mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [PVRC] W3LPL station World record

Hi Phil,

Interesting observations! My first 3-1000Z amp was built in 1966
as a band switching amp then converted to a single band amp as
I built the remaining amps from about 1975-1978.

Over one million QSOs have been made with those amps. You
could count the total number of failures on the fingers of one hand.
All of the repairs were completed in less than an hour each (mostly
the time required to open up and re-close the amplifier).

The tubes have been replaced two or three times as their thoriated
tungsten filament emission weakened after thousands of hours of
use. T hey would have been quite usable on CW for many more
years, but low emission tubes produce unacceptably high SSB
inter-modulation products.

73
Frank
W3LPL