[RSM] RAC Canada Day -- K3KU

Art Boyars artboyars at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 22:24:09 EDT 2019

I enjoyed the heck out of this contest.  Even a modest modest station can
generate a lot of fun in North American contests, and I still get a thrill
from working Canadians.  That's a vestige of my Novice days.  On April 26,
1961, at 8:22 AM EST, KN3OAE, 75W crystal controlled on 7188 Kc/s, worked
his first DX -- VE3RN, Lee, in Willowdale, Ont.  (The call appears to have
been reissued.) I still have that old log book, and I remember that
exciting morning.

I posted my main report (long, but it is the short version) on
3830scores.com:

https://www.3830scores.com/showrumor.php?arg=jUaezliyqqqi0

Here are a few highlights and some RSM-specific comments.

>From the posted claimed scores, I might have reached my secret goal of
sneaking into the highest outside-Canada SOLP score. It looks like BIC beat
superior antennas and skills.  It also appears that no one else was trying
very hard in SOLP.

Of 496 claimed QSOs, 20 were "RAC" stations, 234 were plain Canadians, and
242 were outside Canada. That is, 51% Canada, which is what it's all about.

I had expected more activity on phone than on CW, and tried to push phone.
The numbers show little success except on 15M (where I could not generate
much activity anyhow).  If I had looked at results from previous years I
might not have been so surprised by the poor results on 160M and 80M.  I
could not even get VE3CX on CW.

Westward propagation from Maryland seemed down (long struggle not to work
VE7RAC on 40M SSB).  The "short skip" on 20/15/10 brought lots of eastern
Canada, but no MB that I recall.

Manitobans worked:

VX4WARC  -- answered my CQ on 40M CW early on, and I got them on 20M CW
later on; I psyched out that this was another of Cary's admirable
educational operations.

VE4VT-- got thru his pileup on 20M SSB; I thought I had worked him also on
40M, but NIL; if Ed is not VE4RAC, then who is?

VE4YH -- answered my CQ on 20M SSB; TU OM, and hope to meet you some day.

I heard no other MB, though somebody down here did report hearing VE4RAC,
and Cary has told me it was Kelly.

Other RSM worked were VE3CX (seven QSOs on 80M thru 15M) and VE3RUA (40M CW
and SSB, and 20M CW).  Since ONN does not count in this contest, may I
please count them for MB?

Already looking forward to next year.  Happy Canada Day!

73, Art K3KU/VE4VTR

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>