[RSM] Magic Band Opening Results

K0JP vhfplus at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 07:11:05 EDT 2020

Well, 6-meters has been almost dead for me in the past two days but this
week has been amazing.

I won't go into gory details but 23 new states were worked for a total
of 37, along with 56 new grids (including EN19 courtesy of VE4VT) for a
total of 78 FFMA grids (easy when you're starting from scratch), but,
sadly, only one new DXCC (ZF2). I did see a bunch of VE4s active but was
able to decode only Ed.

Even though almost no DX was heard I was freaked out when 3W1T was
decoded! It was only once, at -17, but it was real because the west
coast was working into JA/HL with strong signals and there were posts
about the Vietnam station on Slack chat at the time it was decoded here.

The vertical dipole,with it's center at a height of 10 meters, worked
amazingly well, but not well enough for real DX. As a result we have
ordered an M2 6M5XHP which will be used at both the Karlstad and Kenora
QTHs and when we go portable to places like EN27 and 28. The antenna is
relatively small (18-feet long and 13 pounds) and will be set up in
portable operation configuration wherever we go. It will be a vast
improvement over what we've been using.

We won't have the M2 antenna until after we return to Karlstad on the
24th but a 4-element Yagi will be borrowed from VE3JJA for use in the CQ
WW VHF Contest next weekend.

73,

Jack, VE3RUA/K0JP