[RSM] Points to Ponder

ed_richardson at shaw.ca ed_richardson at shaw.ca
Tue Jul 14 21:24:38 EDT 2020

Hello RSM'ers.

I trust you are all enjoying summer and your tower/antenna maintenance is
well underway or finished.

Here are a couple reminders for everyone.  This coming weekend are two fun
contests if you are so inclined.

1.	CQ WW VHF - 1800z Jul 18 to 2100z Jul 19.  This is 6m and 2m, any
mode.  Exchange is just your 4 digit grid square.

http://www.cqww-vhf.com/

2.	NAQP-RTTY) 1800z Jul 18 to 0559z Jul 19  Operate 10 of the 12 hours.
Exchange is your name and state/Province.

http://www.ncjweb.com/NAQP-Rules.pdf

Some Observations

We have had some great 6m openings to Europe this past week. As well there
has also been open paths to Hawaii, Alaska, Japan, VK, ZL, and FK.  Some
real DX! If and when these openings occur, you have to be ready and act
fast.  Here are some things I have learned over the last couple of weeks.

1.	When working Europe on FT8, it seems there is a new convention that
North America transmits during the odd sequence, starting at 15 and 45
seconds.  Europe transmits during the even sequence, starting at 0, and 30
seconds.
2.	If you are answering a CQ, do not send the traditional message 1
that includes your grid.  Send only message 2 with your signal report.  Ie.
Send "EI4KF VE4VT -12". The paths are so fleeting that often there is just
enough time for 4 messages.

CQ NA EI4KF IO54

                                                EI4KF VE4VT -12

                                                VE4VT EI4KF R-20

                                                EI4KF VE4VT RR73

3.	If you are working Asia, NA transmits in the even sequence, Asia
transmits in the odd.
4.	Call CQ, you never know where or if the band is open.  When I worked
Hawaii earlier in June, the band appeared dead and the only two signals on
it were two Hawaiian stations calling CQ.  If they hadn't been calling,
would have never known the band was open.
5.	Watch for openings on the upper HF bands. During this past weekend's
IARU contest, I was hearing Europe on 15m.  It has been a long time since I
have heard Europe but thought. wow great, the sunspot cycle is picking up.
However the SFI was still low (69) and that doesn't normally support 15m
Europe to VE4. So I thought it might be multihop sporadic E as the band was
also open to the east coast. Checked 10m and found the same thing.  When was
the last time we worked Europe on 10m from VE4. So this confirmed my theory
that there was a multi hop sporadic E path to Europe. Well if 10m is open,
6m may also be. So I popped up to 6m and what a surprise to see the FT8 band
full of European signals.  Lesson to be learned- watch lower bands for hints
that the higher bands may also be open.
6.	Check out PSK reporter (https://pskreporter.info/pskmap.html) to see
who is working who. Often paths to your east will shift westward and may
open up for you.   (I see an RSM presentation on understanding and using
these maps)

Have fun and call CQ!

Ed VE4VT