[RSM] CQWW-CW Results, Notes and observations

Tom Haavisto kamham69 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 16:08:44 EST 2020

Thanks Ed

I did find a couple of interesting things to pass along to the group.
As you know, the cluster will spot you pretty much anywhere.  Getting up
around 14080 (above the FT-8 stuff), it was interesting to see a few folks
up there, and the band was not very crowded.  What I also found was - there
was a number of stations running above 14100 all the way up to around
14120.  This way, they did not have to fight off near-by QRM
This is where I found 3V8SS, Z39A and a few others.
EW8ON and A71EM worked at 14088
So - remember to look high in the band on 20 :-)

Second thing I found was - some DX stations had HUGE pileups.  As we all
know - there is no copying a single station when all you hear is a single
tone from everyone calling.
By running my XIT up a few hundred HZ, it got me through a few pileups.  I
also found that sending my call SLOWLY (dropped to around 20-25 WPM) seemed
to do the trick once he had VE.
I forget who I worked on 40, but he had a big pileup, was working guys, but
I never heard anyone in his pileup work him.  So - squeak the filters to
have a good copy on him, and start moving XIT up.  Two minutes later -
double mult in the log :-)

Here is a fun one:  More than a few guys thought I was VE3CV (he shows up
first in the SCP)
Imagine the fun when both Jeff (VE3CV) and me were in the *same* pileup!

Tom - VE3CX