[RTTY] Upon Further Review - SCC rule change

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au@bellsouth.net
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 22:21:22 -0500

Thanks to Robert for the detailed explanation on the changes of
the SCC RTTY Championship rules.

Upon further review of my SARTG log, using a single radio, not
once did I surpass 10 band changes in a single hour of time throughout
the entire contest.  I apologize for thinking I had.  The closest I came
was 7.  And I was all over the place chasing packet spots.

I don't think single radio operators will have a problem with the 10
band change per hour limit rule.  Since the packetcluster is not allowed
(for single ops) there will be less band jumping anyway.  The multipliers
are the "years" licensed so it doesn't do you any good to move anyone from
band to band unless you get someone like Jules, where you know
no one is going to have been licensed in that year!  (Just kidding Jules).

SO2R ops will have more of a challenge, but I've figured out an
interesting strategy that will allow me not to have to worry about exceeding
the band change limit.  Since I don't have to work this weekend, I think
I will enter the contest (since I just LOVE RTTY contesting!) and
check out this new strategy.  Now do I go low or high power?  Hmmm...

I still don't agree with the reasoning behind the rule changes, but I will
abide by the rules since I've discovered a way of not having to burden
myself keeping track of band changes.  I'll give you SO2R ops a hint.
WriteLog + Bandmap... you can figure out the rest.

I encourage everyone to enter the contest.  Besides, the wallpaper is really
cool and it only takes 200 QSO's to get a certificate.  If you have a big-time single
op in your call area or country, use the packetcluster and go multi-op.
Gee, I just might do that myself!!!  Hmmm...  Decisions, decisions...

Let's have some fun this weekend.  CU there!
73, Don AA5AU