[RTTY] Bands

Dave Sjolin sjolin@swbell.net
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 13:36:12 -0500

Kok Chen wrote:

> The X5 flare peaked at 1645 UTC.  According to the site's
> explaination of flares:
>
> "There are 3 categories: X-class flares are big; they are major events that
> can trigger planet-wide radio blackouts and long-lasting radiation storms.
> M-class flares are medium-sized; they generally cause brief radio blackouts
> that affect Earth's polar regions. Minor radiation storms sometimes follow
> an M-class flare. Compared to X- and M-class events, C-class flares are
> small with few noticeable consequences here on Earth."
>
> We have a big one, guys.

However, it should be short lived and should actually boost solar flux
helping 10 meters etc. Keep checking the bands.

If the flare comes from that large sun spot that just rotated to become
visible the other day, most of the radiation and any particles from CME
should miss earth. Thus it is NOT likely that we will have geomagnetic
storm early next week. However, if that same spot starts sending out
flares midweek, we could have some spectacular Aurora.

73 de Dave, N0IT