[RTTY] XP and ham ports

Ed Magnuson w1mag@bellatlantic.net
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 06:21:08 -0500

I upgraded from Win98SE to XP because of browsing lock-ups
and worried about my ham programs. Only problem has been
that the Belkin USB to serial port converters did not work
and are not listed in the XP compliance charts as being
compatible. I need them to run packet and my rotor control
since my laptop has only one serial port.

I found an easy solution. The Belkin download site has new
drivers for each of its USB devices. Be sure to also
download the 2-page "manual" since the uninstall procedures
are tricky. But the manual is unusually specific and clear.
After the uninstall, XP will warn not to install but the
manual says go ahead. I did. Works fine.

The sound programs, MMTTY, Writelog and Hamsoft, are working
fine with XP, too.