[RTTY] slightly off topic

Dave, AA6YQ dhb@mediaone.net
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 22:10:15 -0500

DXView does exactly that -- its free, and available via www.qsl.net/dxview .
DXView also plots the signal path on a world map, continuously displays the
solar terminator, and will control most rotators. As a result, it requires
an SVGA (800x640 resolution) or better display, and the download is 5 mb;
while this is small relative to, say, Internet Explorer, it may be larger
than what you seek.

If you are interested in doing the computation yourself, the required
spherical geometry is described in "The Satellite Experimenter's Handbook",
available from the ARRL.

    73,

       Dave, AA6YQ

-----Original Message-----
From: rtty-admin@contesting.com [mailto:rtty-admin@contesting.com]On
Behalf Of John - vk4cej
Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2001 19:14 PM
To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] slightly off topic

I know that this posting is not precisly to do with rtty, but an answer may
certainly help me work more of that mode.

I have been looking for a small stand alone program that does beam heading
calculations... I know that there are some available but the ones I have
seen do not do what I want......  I want one that, when I enter my latitude
and londitude will then allow me to type in a call prefix and will show me
the short and long path bearings from my qth.     I know that there are
logging programs that do this, but I want something that is small and
standalone.    Does anyone know of such a program and can point me to it, or
alternatively, tell me where I can get hold of the formulae for doing this
and I will have a go at making something myself.

John - vk4cej