[RTTY] "Important" contests...

Walt Niemczura walt@hawaii.rr.com
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 08:37:18 -1000

Ekki wrote:

<BIG snip>

> Somebody made an important observation:
> If it not supported by software - forget it. That shows again how important
> programs like WF1B and others are.

Good point. While I used and enjoyed WF1B for years I started looking
for
software packages that didn't have the contest templates "hard coded"
into
the program. An operator should not have to abandon a contest because
it's
not in the software menu.

Both NA and Writelog provide the user with a utility or means of
generating
your own contest template. Other programs might but not ones that
support
RTTY contest (at least that I'm aware).

It is a big plus in my book. I think that any any contest software on
the
market should do the same. Not only does it make the package more
flexible
it frees up the software developer from posting an update before every
event.

For those not interested in this level of involvement we (those who are)
can share our files like SM6SRW's fine collection for Write Log users.
Plus,
with the pending generation of a replacement page for the N1RCT site by
NT1V,
there could be a centralized repository for all software flavors.

On the topic of "Important" contest I think that they are all important.
What we seem to be discussion is popularity or participation. Different
things. Each contest has it's on flavor and one need to develop a
strategy
to do  well for each one. Do we have enough? Almost. I see about one a
month. Much more than that and my wife will start getting annoyed. Less
and I get rusty.

73 and Aloha,

Walt
AH6OZ
(just crawled out from under the Trans Pac rock)