[RTTY] Wanted

ContstEmailAlias@aol.com ContstEmailAlias@aol.com
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:09:46 EDT

> 32 bit Windows version of WF1B.
Sure it could be done

>  Must retain the look and feel of the Dos version.
Many ham programs have tried this and it makes Windows programs hard to use.
Windows has a set of style guidelines, so while the interface could be
similar, it would not be exactly the same. It would need to conform to the
style guidelines.

Microsoft created the style guidelines because with DOS programs, there was
no interface standard. Having the style guidelines make it easy to go between
many Windows programs.

>  No multiple modes, eye candy or other useless "features".
What one person would consider eye candy, others would consider a needed
feature. Since no two people are alike, you try to put in what the
'collective' wants.

You can't please everyone. Some want it to rain and some want it to sunshine,
both at the same time, and even God can't do that.

>  Freeware or under $50.

It costs about $150,000 - $200,000 to do a program from scratch and send it
to market.  Keep in mind, Ray worked on this code for 13 years adding bits
and pieces over the years.  Probably would take 9-12 months of development
time.

I did a survery with the TR-Log users about doing a contesting interface
there. Most just wanted the DOS program to work correctly under Windows,
which was impossible due to the architecture of the O/S. (especially the
flawless CW on the LPT port due to Windows preemptive tasking environment.).

So let me challenge the WF1B group.

As you maybe or may not know, you can upgrade to Log Windows for $50.00. If
we can get 4,000 WF1B users to upgrade in the next 90 days, that'll give us
the revenue to hire the people to take on a project of this magnitude and
we'll develop the contesting interface.

Not only would this be good for ham raido, but we'd be able to hire more hams
into a company that supports doing ham radio software. They'd make a salary,
and everyone would win by getting a contesting interface ala WF1B.

How's that for a challenge? Up to it?

Rick - W4PC
http://www.cssincorp.com
http://www.logwindows.com