[RTTY] NAQP RTTY twice a year?

Shelby Summerville k4ww@home.com
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 05:53:00 -0400

AA5AU again on his swamp water covered keyboard:

"It has come to my attention that the NAQP contest is
run twice a year for both SSB and CW but not for RTTY.
Why not for RTTY?
What would be the best weekend to have a winter NAQP?"

I believe that one of the "primary" factors in the increased popularity of
NAQP RTTY is its "timing"! The "regulars" are going to be there, regardless
of the date, but it is the "newbies" and those that "casually" participate,
that are so important to ones score, that need to be considered? Most full
time CW/SSB contests participate in RTTY contests because there is no
conflict with a CW/SSB contest, and the "newbies" are possibly trying to
decide which mode they "really" prefer? I suggest that a "winter" NAQP RTTY
be held on the last FULL weekend in February? That would allow "recovery"
from CQ/NRJ WW RTY WPX (second weekend in February) and a "warmup" for NCJ
RTTY Sprint (second weekend in March)? With the possibility of 160 now being
added to RTTY contest's, the "downside" to that weekend is it would be in
"direct" competetion with CQ 160 SSB!
C'Ya Shelby, K4WW
The trouble with mental notes: the ink fades so quickly!