[RTTY] WA9ALS/4 AKA Take Your Radio!

WA9ALS - John wa9als@starband.net
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 21:21:44 -0500

I had the privilege of operating /4 in the land of the Mandolins, Guitars,
etc part of last week.  This included some playing in the Russian RTTY test.
This was a [XYL's] family reunion of sorts at a central location to the home
states of several of the families.  I figured it would be an extra good time
if I brought my IC-706MKIIG and an antenna!  I ended up with an inverted V
about 40M dipole length, fed with ladder line and supported by WeedEater
line.  For the bored and/or my friends, I have a few photos:

1.  http://members.tubesock.net/fleming/Tennessee2001/100-0025_IMG.JPG  This
shows that I got some height on the apex, and also shows our "cabin" in the
Nathan Bedford Forrest State Park (100 mi west of Nashville).  It was
actually more like a brand new 2BR house with central air, satellite TV etc
etc!  Great "state park" rates too.

2.  http://members.tubesock.net/fleming/Tennessee2001/100-0027_IMG.JPG  This
shows the view from the balcony.  That's Kentucky Lake in the background.
Beautiful, but I wasn't thrilled when my kids told me how great the swimming
was - even with a few snakes!  "They didn't bother us", they said.

3.  http://members.tubesock.net/fleming/Tennessee2001/100-0029_IMG.JPG
Fishing was OK too - This shows one of my sisters-in-law with her catch.

4.  http://members.tubesock.net/fleming/Tennessee2001/100-0013_IMG.JPG
KB9YTW - He doesn't get his interest in snakes from me, that's for sure!

5.  http://members.tubesock.net/fleming/Tennessee2001/100-0057_IMG.JPG  The
operating position.

6.  http://members.tubesock.net/fleming/Tennessee2001/100-0056_IMG.JPG  My
power source (poor focus/depth of field), but you get the idea.  I might as
well have brought my Astron as far as weight, but it was fun to be
battery-powered, and I didn't know for sure where all I might be operating,
so better to BE PREPARED!

I worked a smattering of DX on 20M, including Morocco, and SP on 40M, so I
guess the "V" was OK.  Also had some nice SSB Q's for fun!

Moral of the story - Next time you go somewhere - TAKE A RADIO and operate
RTTY!  ;-)  73 - John