[RTTY] WAEDC RTTY Contest

Barry w2up@mindspring.com
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 12:24:02 -0000

On 1 Nov 01, Frank Hunt wrote:

> Kok Chen wrote:
> > But we know that the big RTTY ops just use a canned program which
> > picks the stored QSO, set up the sequence number of the QTC, etc.
> > Everything is automated in the spirit of getting more points quickly.  At
> > the receiving end, the data is also gobbled up by a robot.
>
> And so it seems that no skill is required just the the money to buy
> the software. Maybe this is why we don't need qtc's in a RTTY contest?
>
> Frank, ZL2BR

That's like saying why bother having contests on more than one
band. All you need to do is pay the money to put up enough
antennas for 5 bands...

QTCs accomplish several things:
1. It goes back to our "roots," i.e., traffic handling
2. It adds to the "action" in a RTTY contest where you may get
bored due to lack of activity (true of most RTTY contests except
WW and Roundup).
3. It gives you the opportunity to get 11 QSO points out of every 1
point QSO.
4. It adds to contest strategy - run vs. QTC vs which band, etc.

One recommendation for QTCs, from past experience. Try not to
do QTCs on 80m the first night. I find it very tough with all the noise
on that band, when it will be so easy on 10-20m the following
morning.
73,
Barry