[RTTY] Tuning Up or Down?

Vladimir V. Sidorov eu1sa@belsonet.net
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 18:17:46 +0200

Hi all,

>We've discussed this somewhat on the reflector before.
>But do the majority of stations, when in S&P mode, tune from
>the top of the band to the bottom or from bottom to top?
>
>I tune from top to bottom almost always.

Certainly DOWN THE BAND looks more attractive for S&P if you make a simple
analisys who stays where.
At the beginning of any band there are BIG guns standing like rock running
that crowd. And they are there for sure all the time, there is no need to
try to break pile-ups on their freqs starting S&P. If you go to the very top
of the band, there is weak signal people who tries to find a space as far as
possible from big sigs. There is people who came to the band for a half an
hour to get a few Qs calling CQ. Mostly they are rather DX stations than
usual EU or NA. They WILL go if you don't catch them on time. OK, go there
and work them all, than go further down the band to work big guns, they are
there always, waiting for you... No?

The freshiest example. Go and check spots of the recent WAE. Where HK0GU was
usually spotted on 10 m? All the time it was around 28.110.
BTW, I jumped into the contest for an hour or two just to catch him, and
failed!... I did not even heard him despite I saw his spots...
Well, I made a few dozens of contacts in the contest and a check log will
follow. Sorry for my refusals to several proposals to exchange QTCs...
Actually for various reasons there was not any chance to take part in the
contest seriously and I did not even touch the QTCs this time.

73,
"Walt", EU1SA