[RTTY] Buffer Follow-up and P38 Question

Ekki ekki@plicht.de
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 18:39:46 +0100

> Just wanted to add $0.000002 (adjusted for inflation) worth regarding
> buffer formatting and whether or not to use the ubiquitous "-" between
> numbers in the report.
>
> In both JARTS and WAE (definitely a very part-time effort using a
> vertical
> on the fence as the other antennas were done for maintenance) I went
> without the "-" in the report buffer.  Perhaps it was strictly
> psychological, but I had the definite "sense" that I had far
> fewer requests
> for repeats.  This "sense" seem bolstered in WAE with only the
> vertical as
> I doubt I even qualified for little pistol status.  In any event, I am
> going to stick with a space versus the "-".

This has been discussed quite often, i think using the "-" is useful since
it reduces the amount of shift characters transmitted. Maybe people don't
realize that their software (well most software) recognizes a TOOERT equally
well as 599345.

On that note (buffers), the most stupidiest thing i have seen in the last
few contests was "5NN". Now this is something no software does recognizes
correctly. If there is no seperator between 5NN and the serial number (like
5NN012) i have to enter the serial manually instead of clicking it with the
mouse.

I guess those who use 5NN did CW for too long. In CW it helps and is
shorter, in RTTY it requires two more letter / figure control codes. Perhaps
time for another RTTY-101 lesson in our mags.

73,
Ekki, DF4OR