[RTTY] Standard contest log format (was: Submitting JARTS log ....)

Waldemar DK3VN dk3vn@darc.de
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 13:56:54 +0100

Jerry Flanders wrote:

> NEXT QUESTION - why can't the various contest committees adapt their
> systems and make use of the standard Cabrillo system. Sure would simplify
> life for the software writers as well as us contesters. Contest committees
> who don't want to adapt could just retire their contest and let another
> sponsor develop one for that weekend. This will probably all happen in
> time. Why not sooner, rather than later?
>
> Jerry W4UK

Hello,

as you might know, the Cabrillo format was developed for the contests
only, were the ARRL is the sponsor!

The question is not, if all the sponsors of all contests (worldwide!)
should change their contest rules to match the Cabrillo format criteria's
and the ability of the existing checking tools. The question is, if the
people, who have created the Cabrillo format and the checking tools,
should extend the Cabrillo format and the functionality of the checking
tools, so the log format and the checking tools could be used by all
contest sponsors worldwide.

Then and only then you will have a worldwide standard. Until now
the Cabrillo format is a local standard; nothing more. ;-)

To prevent any misunderstanding: I am supporting the ideas behind the
Cabrillo format. Also I am supporting the idea, that all contest checkers
must publish their checking criteria's! Is that true for all contests,
sponsored by the ARRL?

Creating a standard contest log format, like Cabrillo, and providing
checking tools is the first important step; but without any open and
complete publication of the checking criteria's the contest sponsor
has made the first step, but is afraid to make the next important step!
Always it's the famous question: Who checks the checker? :)

Although English is not my mother tongue; I hope you got my point?

73 de Waldemar, DK3VN

PS: If anyone has missed me in the WAEDC; I was not at home, because
our customers don't know the importance of HAMRADIO and contesting. =:-/

Check RWRL on  http://www.qsl.net/dk3vn   mailto:dk3vn@darc.de
RWRL Mirror on http://home.arcor.de/waldemar.kebsch
German DX Foundation #207  http://www.gdxf.de
Big antennas, high in the sky, are better than small ones, low!