[RTTY] AL-1200 arcing during QRO RTTY contesting

Bill Turner w7ti@dslextreme.com
Fri, 05 Oct 2001 03:42:15 -0700

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001 17:45:04 -0500, WA9ALS - John wrote:

>Both times something like
>this has happened, it's been after a long period of QRO contesting at KW+ on
>RTTY.  I guess I don't really think it's the antenna system - I think it's
>inherent to the amp not being built for QRO RTTY contesting.

You're right about the AL-1200 not being built for QRO RTTY contesting.
I had the tank assembly get so hot it melted the solder connections,
once on 80 meters and once on 160 meters.  When I asked the designer of
the amp about it, he replied "well, who uses RTTY on 160 meters anyway?"
Bad answer, IMO.

After repairing it, I held it to 1000 watts on each band and had no
further problems.  I later sold it and bought an Alpha 91b which worked
fine for extended RTTY operation, and after that a Commander HF-2500
which is also "brick-on-the-key" rated.  Either one is a better choice
than the AL-1200.  Ameritron's advertising would lead one to believe the
amp would handle extended RTTY operation, but it just isn't so.

73, Bill W7TI