[RTTY] Winpack 6.7 and Kams TNC

VinceK6BIR@aol.com VinceK6BIR@aol.com
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 23:50:21 EDT

Hi,

I have been using Kagold for packet with my Kams TNC here for some time, but
now that I have new faster computers here, Kagold will no longer work on
them, I have one desktop and one new laptop, both are 800 MHz machines, the
desktop is running Win 98SE and the laptop is running
Win 98ME, a ham friend told me about Winpack, because of the problems that I
was having with Kagold, I installed Winpack on the different computers here,
on my desktop computer everything is working fine, but when I installed
Winpack on the laptop computer it only ran for a few days, now it does not
recognize the com port, I have tried many different settings on Winpack and
on the Kam TNC, have even set the Kam it the way it was listed in the help
file of Winpack, I have two different Kams here, one is the Kam Plus, which
is the one that was working OK and then quit, the other Kam is a KPC-3 and it
never has worked with Winpack, these units are working OK on my older laptop
computer and Kagold, and I could not get Winpack to work on it as well, it
looks as if there is a setting on the Kam TNC that needs to be made, but I do
not have any other ideas as what to do next, I am able to use the working
computer and Winpack to check the settings, but that has not helped. at first
I thought that maybe it was just a problem with the new laptop and Win 98ME,
but when it did not work on the older laptop, an 233 MHz with Win 98SE then I
realized that it was not just a WIN 98ME problem.

Is there any other packet programs that will work with the newer and faster
computers? Or do we have to just stay with older computers to work packet? I
bought this new laptop for myself, but if I cannot get it to work with
packet, then I will have to give the XYL the new laptop instead of the old
one that I was planing on. I use the laptop computer here in the shack for
monitoring the DX packet spots while on the desktop computer.

Tnx for any ideas that you may have.

Vince, K6BIR