[RTTY] GU0SUP SOAB(LP) JARTS 2001

Kok Chen chen@mac.com
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 15:02:50 -0700

GU0SUP wrote:
> Yes! I did finish early, but there was such an aurora that I couldn't work
> anything at all. Many fluttery signals, and most folk I called just didn't
> get my call. Ah well!

I worked a fluttery W6/G0AZT a little earlier (abt 2000z)
on 20m and he commented "Conditions are weird."

Now, when Eddie thinks that something is weird, imagine
what it seems like for the rest of us! :-)

I first noticed that K4GMH sounded fluttery on 20m.  Very odd,
since he is far from either the poles or the equator.  Then,
VE6YR and VE7GL were fluttering in.  Heck, they are almost
within shouting distance from Oregon!  How many bounces off
the stuff up there could that be?

I went up to 15m, and things were clearer there.  Even got thru
to a couple of European stations (minor miracle for me even when
conditions are good :-).

The 20m signals sounded fluttery, but there was no QSB.  The
Timewave 599zx decoded everything fine.  On the spectrum
analyser, though, there were no distinct peaks at the mark
and space.  At one point, VE7GL was almost a blur within the
passband.

As I write this, spectra look mostly clean again.

First time I copied Spread Spectrum on HF, HI HI.

73
Chen, AA6TY (portable 7! portable 7! please correct log :-)