[RTTY] Conditions and exchanges

Bill Turner w7ti@dslextreme.com
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 14:21:20 -0700

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 20:35:00 +0100, Phil Cooper wrote:

>I also feel that if conditions warrant it, it is worth sending the serial
>number (or age!) three times instead of just twice. On many occasions I got
>the same as Raj - 599-61-62 and it is difficult to know which is right. I
>have always preferred the first, but you never know!

I've pondered this one for a long time and finally have come up with
what works for me.  See what you think:

1.  If I receive the info only once (either callsign or exchange),
unless the signal is very strong and QRM-free, I ask for a repeat.

2.  If I receive the info twice and it's the exactly the same, I accept
it.  If they are different, I always ask for a repeat, even if I think I
know which one is "right".

3.  If I receive the info three times and two out of three agree, I
accept the two as correct.

4.  The only exception to #2 is for my own call.  For example, if I
receive my call once right and once wrong, I accept that he has my call
right.  The chances of him having it wrong twice but also having a bit
flip which makes one of them right are so small as to be insignificant
(I hope).

Anyway, that's what my procedures are.  I'm always willing to listen to
other suggestions, though.  Fire away.  :-)

73, Bill W7TI