[RTTY] AH6OZ JARTS 2001 SOABHP Results

Walt Niemczura walt@hawaii.rr.com
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 08:36:36 -1000

Interesting contest with very good conditions almost throughout the
event.
Very similar to CQWW test last month.

I have missed this one a couple of times due to mainland travel or have
not put in a full effort for various reasons so I thought I would try a
but harder this year.

Plans seem to start to fall apart at the start. I got stuck at work
(these
things start at 1400 W) so I missed the first hour. I already knew that
would have to pull the plug at 2000Z to help setup for WW Phone at KH7R
leaving me with a max operating time of 43 hrs. Then there is the
concept
of sleep.

As usual I took a peek at the records (TNX Eddie) and saw John's OC
score
from last year. Quite an effort with 309K points and, considering I only
have managed about 100K in the past it seemed like a lofty goal. But
one needs goals so there it was.

15m seemed like the place to start an so off we went. Move to 20m
yielded
EU at 0300Z which is early for here but a indication that this would be
good weekend. 40m was open from here but not many stations on. It was
nice
to drop down into the JA window and nab 7 call districts almost in a row
in less than 30 minutes. By 1000Z the first night things were slowing
down
and it was time for a nap.

Up at 1500Z on Saturday and the bands were just showing signs of
opening.
Starting on 20 yielded more EU and an early move to 15 produced more.
Hopped about the rest of the day and by the end of the 2nd day things
were looking very nice. Although there was a major storm predicted to
hit
RSN I chanced it and took nap #2. Sunday after the contest would be
busy.

Again at 1500Z the bands seemed to be open and the K had not started up
so it was off again. 20 ws ok but showing signs of distress. 15 was
better
but EUs were very weak. K2YG gave me the Q that put me past the old OC
record at 1844Z so I figured I had another 1:45 to pad this a bit for
log checking deductions. KH6ND called to say that we were meeting at
2300
so I had an extra 2 hrs to play. In the end I passed VK4UC's 309K by
12%. Overall a satisfying effort.

Highlights: Many. Dave, ZR6RVG, calling me on 10m near the end. Chen
AA6TY
and his "portable 7 portable 7" buffer (I knew that, WL didn't pull the
/7)
and then later trying to get me to move to 80m. I didn't fall for that
old
trick. 80m doesn't work from here.

Low lights: Very few. There did seem to be a baaaaaaaaaaaaad station on
through
most of the contest. Seemed to generate a RTTY like modulated crackling
and
white noise that spread over 8 kHz, at least here. Seemed to follow me
around
(no, I'm not paranoid, I know they're after me). Made copy tough at
times.

I did enjoyed the tiny tots early on and some people got confused when I
wished
them a Happy Birthday (I can't help it, sorry). I confirmed the age and
fixed
the exchange.

Overall a good contest and a lot of fun. TNX to JARTS for sponsoring
such a
great event and to all those that worked me.

CU in WAE.

73 and Aloha,

Walt

JARTS WW RTTY Contest