[RTTY] UNDERAGE RTTY OPS

Joe Wittmer jwittmer@halcomm.com
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 09:24:18 -0500

I suppose I am usually quite here... but this thread interests me quite a
bit...

> How many of you know anyone under say, age 25

Well... Now I know I am getting old with my report at 599-28-28-28... hi hi

Is this my first case of age discrimination...? Do we get multipliers for
each child under the age of 5? Just kidding John...

For me... my first RTTY contact was beta testing software ( I wrote) and
running an Elecraft K2 (I built). I may not exactly have the standard view
point of a newer ham. But, I think there is quite a bit of interest in RTTY
from the younger crowds. One 'problem' (if you want to call it that) is it
is certainly harder to find people to rag chew above 14080 than below.
Otherwise, you have to get into contesting. Don't get me wrong... contesting
is FUN! It is just somewhat of different beast esp. when you want to get
started.

Another thing to consider is quite a few hams I have talked with have not
been running RTTY since the early days. Many have just gotten into RTTY, and
it seems the contests grow in participation each year...

I'd personally like to see more rag chewing. I've asked several about having
some interest in 80m rag chewing here locally. I suppose I should follow
through myself and call CQ more often in the evenings...

VRY 73
Joe KB9SIZ