[RTTY] Article by Brian Beezley, K6STI

Kok Chen aa6ty@att.net
Sat, 01 Sep 2001 12:44:32 -0700

ON7UI/Etienne wrote:

> Using Terman's approximitation (*) minimum bandwith = 2(23+68.4)= 182.8 Hz
> Decreasing the baudrate would decrease the bandwith.
> * F.E. Terman ,Radio Engineering, 3rd ed, Mcgraw-Hill. p486.

I just posted the computed spectrum (again, averaged over the equivalent
of 45 minutes of real time) of 22.725 Hz shift RTTY (I suspect they may be
using a shift that is synchronous to the baud rate of 45.45 baud).

Posted at:

http://homepage.mac.com/chen/.Public/RTTY/rtty23.pdf

Curious you should cite Terman.  Fred Terman was still alive and very
active as Dean of Engineering when I was at Stanford.  He was my advisor's
advisor's Professor :-).  I am too many generations removed to have
inherited any knowledge from him :-).

I think Terman considered himself a "Radio Engineer."  I was in the
Radar Astronomy group -- but don't ask me anything about Radar or
about Astronomy :-).

73
Chen, AA6TY