[RTTY] A different approach to an old topic

Jim Reisert jjreisert@alum.mit.edu
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 07:39:57 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Vladimir V. Sidorov" <eu1sa@belsonet.net> asks:

> DOES IT MEAN THAT A BASIC RTTY DXCC IS MORE COMPLICATED THAN THE 5B DXCC?

I don't think so.  It's just that RTTY requires extra equipment above and
beyond the microphone that comes in the box with the radio, or the straight key
you have laying around.  This is becoming less of an issue now that there are
several good RTTY programs that use the soundcard in the PC you probably
already have in the shack.

I think it took me a little over a year to work and confirm 100 countries on
RTTY.  5BDXCC took me about 16 years, because I never paid much attention to
working DXCC on the low bands.  I am 6 zones away on 80m from 5BWAZ, only
counting contacts from October 1997 onward, using just a 35' (10M) high G5RV
and a vertical (no beams).

73 - Jim AD1C (both RTTY DXCC [200+ confirmed] and 6B DXCC with cards for 12m
and 17m going in soon)

=====
USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com