[RTTY] Re: [WriteLog] rtty RX comparation

John vk4cej@hamsnet.net
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 08:24:24 +1000

Hello Don.....  in part, you said :-

> PK232 and KAM owners should not fret.  They are good TNC's. An
> example can be made of 3 local RTTY operators in my area that
> are all now on the RTTY Honor Roll.  Mike, W5ZPA, did it with a
> KAM.  Randy, WX5L, also did it with a KAM.  And Wondy, K5KR,
> did it with a PK232 in a very noisy location.  I have won many
> RTTY contests using the PK232 and KAM.  Don't throw them away
> because they can be used with WriteLog and a sound card in a dual
> receive configuration that outperforms any single TNC or sound
> card program.

For what its worth, some several months ago,  I ran Zakanaka (which uses the
mmtty engine) and HyperTerminal (to control my PK-232) at the same time.

With both the 232 and the soundcard receiving the one rtty signal, the 232
was more accurate every time... and this was in it's 'out of the box'
configuration.   Since then, I have spent considerable time making
modifications to the 232 so that it is now 'tuned' for 170hz shift and it
now receives rtty better than ever..  So you can see why at this time, I
would much prefer to stick with the pk232.

John - vk4cej