[RTTY] rtty TU's, etc. & esp PK-232's

Robert Boyd nt1v@hotmail.com
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 21:43:18 -0400

Hello all,

I have two PK232's, both of which have been modified for 170 hz shift
following the instructions published at least 10 years ago.  (I guess I need
to put that modification info on the RTTYINFO.net website!)  I choose to run
my ST-8000 into one of them as an external modem.  This allows me to use the
ST-8000 with any/all software written for the PK-232 (there must be more
than 3 dozen programs).  I have used the combo against several other units
(DXP-38, IRL units, PK-232 alone, sound-card with various programs, RITTY)
and I still feel that the ST-8000 stands very tall, and probably first (as
it should for the investment - mine an unused unit that never made it to
Desert Storm - a fraction of the price of a new one).  If I ever retire and
hopefully that will happen soon, I will try to make a qualitative analysis
of terminal units and sound card programs.  That is an ambitious project and
I hope I can carry it out.

My second PK-232 is the latest DSP unit from Timewave and by itself it
performs VERY well.  Again, talk is cheap, and a "real" comparison is
needed.  My only point for this post is to say "don't give up on the
PK-232's.  Many are available on and off on eBay for under $50, if you want
to pick one up.

Unfortunately I will NOT be on in the test at the end of the month, as I'm
away from home (in 100 degree Phoenix) working until probably November.
(Glad to have the income, though!!)

Regards to all,
Bob - NT1V and ex-W1VXV