[RTTY] Keying circuit interface

Jon Harder jon@praxisworks.org
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 14:10:31 -0000

After reading Joe's thoughtful post, I note that Buck's page
(http://www.packetradio.com/psk31.htm) also shows an FSK capable pre-wired
version of the Rascal for Kenwoods.  Too bad he didn't also include CW while
he was at it!

This is an extract from his description
:
KENWOOD   RASCAL model   R-KW13RY
      (wired and tested only!)

      This RASCAL ™® is not a kit.  It has all the features of the other
RASCAL™® PSK31, SSTV etc Interfaces, however, this RASCAL™® has an added
TxData circuit that enables the use of FSK.  By using this RASCAL™®
interface and a program like MMTTY, you are able to use the FSK feature
built into your Kenwood for RTTY.  The advantage of FSK over AFSK, is the
use of the radio's built-in narrow FSK & CW filters."

Joe, as so many of us get many requests for the same info on practical
construction, was
very glad to see your post today, as well as Don's thoughtful addition of
the simplest cricuits to his page.  Cheap, reliable, and easy to build by
cutting stock cables and using readily availble housings and parrts.

While homebrew I/O is easy and still even fun for some of us, it's pretty
apparent that there are those who need a hand with things like circuit
boards to hold components,  cabling, etc.  As old-reliable TS-850s, for
instance,  are an attractive item to newcomers, and they circulate
constantly on eBay, etc., the need for this most basic info seems to grow
daily.  Your 850 page http://www.qsl.net/k0bx  remains a valuable resource.

73        Jon, K1US