[RTTY] Oh my now what

Dave AA6YQ dhb@attbi.com
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 17:42:25 -0700

WinWarbler supports RTTY via soundcard (using the MMTTY engine) and
external modem (KAM, PK232, etc) simultaneously via the same user
interface. You can use the panoramic display (generated by the MMTTY
engine) to find signals and decode them with your PK232, with MMTTY, or
with both simultaneously. Its free, and available via www.qsl.net/dxlab
.

   73,

       Dave, AA6YQ

-----Original Message-----
From: rtty-admin@contesting.com [mailto:rtty-admin@contesting.com] On
Behalf Of WI8W
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2002 4:15 PM
To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] Oh my now what

On the continuing saga to get my RTTY station up to snuff for
ragchewing, Dxing and contesting I am now in a quandry about the right
approach.

One school says that the best results are obtained by hardware
generation of the signal.  They mean a TNC and the radio using FSK.  I
have 2 PK-232MBX's in my shack that I am getting ready to modify into
what some die hard DX'ers call the untimate setup.

Now into the scene comes the other campus that is saying that a sound
card driving the rig in AFSK is the cat's meow.  MMTTY seems to be the
software of choice (of the free stuff that is)

I have MMTTY running a RigBlaster interface currently driving my FT-920
thrrough the Data Jack in the back and for the most part seems to work
ok. I am finding however that this software has a pretty tuff time with
weak signals if there is noise on the band.  What am I saying, it has a
tough time with W1AW when it comes booming in here early evening on 20
with a S9+ signal.  The software misses characters like you would not
believe.  I have tried every setting in the book in regards to the input
and output voltages
to the sound card, setting filters to this or that setting.   Quite
frankly
I am looking for something better without having to spend 200 dollars on
a new piece of software or hardware.  I don't think MMTTY is going to
cut it.

That is why I bought the PK-232MBX boxes.  They are used but they were
cheap.  I spent less than 100 dollars for both of them.

So who wins here?   One school says hardware and the other software.  I
believe Don AA5AU uses both and look what he has accomplished.

So now is my problem.  Do I spend the money and time to upgrade the
hardware or take a chance and spend yet another chunck of money on
software?

And can we keep this one civil and on the topic? My last question up for
discussion (Where has all the RTTY Gone) deviated so far from my
question it was mentioned in Jim's Gazette.

73

Thom WI8W

Thanks

73