[RTTY] K4GMH WPX SOABHP

Mike nasfred@1bigred.com
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 19:18:18 -0500

Enjoyed the contest and congratulations to the contest committee
having to put up with the NCJ's movable contest weekend. (No advanced
announcement of the WPX RTTY contest in QST!)

The scores have to be best ever in total.  Not sure if any records will be
broken.  However, the large number of stations with QSO count above 1000
with several hours to go was great to see.  This means RTTY is benefiting
from the other digital modes, such as PSK, gaining in popularity.  Will be
interesting to see the scores.

In general the bands were in good shape.  Signals were down on 80 meters as
compared to last year which accounts for the reduced activity on 80
meters(looking at last years log).  However, 10 and 15 meters made up for
it.  Starting at 0000z 10 Feb, 10 meters followed by 15 meters was
exceptional to the Pacific and Asia.  VR, VK, ZL, JAs, KH6, RW9, etc. were
all worked in about a two hour span on 10 meters.  Moved to 15 and started
it all over again including V73,........  That four hour period was one of
the most enjoyable contesting periods I can remember.  I know a bunch of
other guys were enjoying it as well.  Thanks to all the stations that came
up and participated throughout the contest.

Results: Goal was to get 1500 QSOs - succeeded 1525 (no dupes); Beat my
score from last year (USA high score SOABHP) of 1.5 mill.  - succeeded by
almost 700K.  However, based on the excellent QSO numbers heard at the end
of the contest, I hope I can make it into the USA top five!  Excellent
group of USA operators.

BAND	  QSOS PTS     PRX
80m: 	   39	 134	   20
40m:	  262	 1180	  165